What could possibly make a cheesy dip filled with savory vegetables and crawfish batter? Aunt Celeste knows-- serving it in a bread bowl, of course.For more delicious recipes like this check out our cookbook Growing Up Cajun !
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can of cream of shrimp soup
- 1 (8-ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (5.5-ounce) can vegetable juice
- ½ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 1 lb cooked crawfish tails
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, to taste
- Handful chopped green onion
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Dash of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce or Green Pepper Sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf Hawaiian sweet round bread
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Assorted crackers, to serve
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, bell peppers, and garlic; sauté until tender. Stir in Worcestershire. Add cream cheese, stirring until melted. Add soup, tomato sauce, and vegetable juice, stirring until well combined. Add cheese and half- and-half, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Cut top off bread round, and set aside. Hollow out inside of loaf. make sure enough bread is left inside so that the bread does not have any holes. Press bread down inside bowl. Left over bread can be cubed and baked for dipping in crawfish dip.
- Place bread bowl on a baking sheet. Pour crawfish mixture into bread bowl.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Return top of bread round to bread bowl, and cover entire round with foil. Bake 20 minuted more. Remove top of bread round, and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve warm with bread pieces and crackers.