Candied Yams & Pecans
It’s not a family gathering until someone brings the candied yams. There won’t be any leftovers from this dish.
Makes 8 to 10 Servings
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 -inch chunks.
- 4 cups apple cider.
- 2 cups water.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted.
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning.
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice.
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest.
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 2 large eggs.
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium Dutch oven, bring sweet potatoes, apple cider, and 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender,15 to 17 minutes. drain, reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid.
- In a large bowl, place sweet potatoes reserved 1/3 cup cooking liquid, sugars, melted butter, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, apple pie spice, Zest, and salt. Using a potato masher, mash to desired consistency. Stir in eggs. Spoon into prepared pan spreading evenly. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more. Sprinkle with marshmallows and Candied Pecans. BAke until marshmallows are lightly browned, about 7 minutes more.
Candied Pecans Ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter.
- 1/4 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Hot Blend Cajun Seasoning.
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted.
- Line a small baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, combine brown sugar, butter, Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning, and Salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until coated. Spoon mixture onto prepared pan. Let stand until completely cool. Break into pieces.