Slap Ya Mama Sloppy Joes.
Nothing like Mama’s classic Sloppy Joes to remind you of your childhood. This crowd-pleasing sandwich has a thick meaty filling smothered in our Cajun Pepper Sauce. You definitely need a fork and a few napkins to eat this mouthwatering meal!
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and season with 2 tsp of Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, brown ground beef for about 5 minutes, making sure to break up meat and brown all sides. Drain and add meat back into skillet.
- Add onions and bell peppers to skillet with ground meat and cook 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds or so, until fragrant. Add in tomato paste and mix well.
- Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning. Stir well to combine.
- Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until mixture has thickened to your liking.
- Remove from heat and serve on toasted buns. Top it off with a little Slap Ya Mama Cajun Pepper Sauce.
Ultimate Cajun Burger
Next time your craving a burger, make it Cajun! Spice up your patties, and serve them hot off the grill.
Makes approximately 6 burger patties.
- Bacon (cook according to package)
- American Cheese
- In a large bowl mix beef, pork, bell pepper, onions, jalapeño, Worcestershire sauce, Slap Ya Mama Cajun Pepper Sauce, and Slap Ya Mama Hot Blend Cajun Seasoning.
- Form approximately 6 large patties.
- Grill on med-high heat until desired temperature.
- Build your burger and dress to your liking.
Mama’s Spicy Grilled Chicken Salad
Lighten up this summer without sacrificing flavor! Mama’s Spicy Grilled Chicken Salad makes for a savory protein packed meal. Loading it with vegetables and using quinoa in place of rice adds nutrition for a healthy dinner. Our Jalapeño Cilantro Dip tops it off with the perfect amount of spice.
Click Here for Recipe: Slap Ya Mama Jalapeño Cilantro Dip
- Put chicken in a ziplock bag. In a small bowl combine lime juice, Slap Ya Mama Green Pepper Sauce, olive oil, garlic, cilantro, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning. Pour the sauce over the chicken and seal the bag and let marinade for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat. Grill each side of the chicken for about 3-4 minutes or until cooked throughout and no longer pink.
- Slice chicken and set aside.
- In a bowl place a hand full of washed spinach.
- Scoop in 2-3 tablespoons of cooked quinoa (cook according to package).
- Add in cherry tomatoes and diced avocados.
- Place grilled chicken in the bowl and top-off the salad with our Slap Ya Mama Jalapeño Cilantro Dip.
Recipe by Catahoula Catering
Slap Ya Mama Crawfish Nachos
Crawfish nachos piled high with loads of left over crawfish and dripping in a spicy cheese sauce.
- 1 lb peeled crawfish tails
- 1 2/2 tsp Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seafood Boil
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 3 cups grated pepper jack cheese
- 3 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper and green bell pepper
- 1 minced de-seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce (optional)
- Your favorite tortilla chips
- Gather 1 pound, or more (you really can’t have too much) of leftover crawfish tails from your boil.
- Or, if you’re using packaged tails, mix 1 and ½ tsp. of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seafood Boil to season it up. This is a little trick I use if there aren’t any leftovers (which there shouldn’t be!).
- Mix all the dry seasonings: Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, mustard powder, cayenne pepper powder, and paprika.
- Get a block of both mild cheddar and pepper jack cheese, and grate until you have 3 cups of each. The cheeses melt better when you grate it yourself rather than buying the pre shredded stuff.
- In a pot, first, melt your butter on medium heat, and then add the vegetables: onion, celery, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, jalapeño pepper and garlic. Cook your vegetables until they are soft, and the onions are translucent (10-15 min). We aren’t trying to get any brown coloring here.
- Mix in the mayonnaise and dry seasonings to your cooked vegetables. Once the mayonnaise and seasonings are incorporated, add in your crawfish tails.
- When the crawfish tails start to curl, mix in the cheeses. Turn the heat down to medium low and stir occasionally until it’s fully melted.
- *This is optional* As a finishing touch, add the shot of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce to your crawfish queso, and mix until it is fully incorporated.
- Pour your Slap Ya Mama Crawfish Queso over a bed of your favorite tortilla chips, and enjoy!
Mama’s Spicy Jalapeño Margarita
Mama is heating things up with her Spicy Jalapeño Margarita. Simple and delicious, these margaritas are made with fresh lime juice and agave syrup. Make a single cocktail or whip up a pitcher for a crowd.
- Use lime wedges to moisten rim of drinking glass. Next, you want to evenly dip glass into Slap Ya Mama Hot Blend Cajun Seasoning. Set glass aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine your tequila, lime juice, agave nectar and jalapeño with ice.
- Stir or shake well.
- Serve over ice in a rocks glass.
- Garnish with a jalapeño wheel, lime and a little extra slap!
* You can substitute any of our Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasonings*
Carne Asada Chipotle Street Tacos
Mama is making it easy to have restaurant style carne asada tacos at home. These carne asada chipotle street tacos are marinated in our very own Green Pepper Sauce, grilled and piled into flour tortillas along with fresh pico de gallo and topped with Mamas Jalapeño Cilantro Dip. The ultimate taco for meat lovers!
- Season steak with Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning Blend, coating both sides. set aside.
- In a small bowl add lime juice, chipotle salsa, garlic, cilantro, olive oil and Slap Ya Mama Green Pepper Sauce. Mix until combined. In a large ziplock bag add flank steak and pour marinade in making sure to coat both sides with marinade. Refrigerate 4-8 hours.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or grill on high. Remove the steak from marinade and place it on the hot skillet/grill for about 4- 5 minutes then flip and cook another 4-5 minutes for medium rare. Or until desired doneness.
- Let steak rest 10-15 minutes. Then slice in thin slices against the grain.
- Pica de gallo- combine onions, jalapeños, tomatoes and chopped cilantro in a large in a large bowl. Squeeze in the juice of 2 limes and add Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning (season to taste).
Top off your tacos with our: Jalapeño Cilantro Dip
Slap Ya Mama Jalapeño Cilantro Dip
Mama is mixing things up with her Green Pepper Sauce. Our jalapeño cilantro dip is a versatile sauce that can be used all week long. This is a great sauce to always have on hand as an appetizer with chips and dip, it even adds a little kick to a salad and tops off your taco night with a spicy Slap.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, ranch dip packet, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning and Slap Ya Mama Green Pepper Sauce.
- In a blender or food processor, puree cilantro, tomatillo and pickled jalapeño with a little jalapeño juice.
- Add cilantro jalapeño puree to mayo mixture, mixed well.
- Stir in buttermilk and fresh lime juice.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Try with our Carne Asada Chipotle Street Tacos
No seafood boil is complete without Mama’s savory dipping sauces, perfect for dipping any type of boiled seafood from crawfish to shrimp and even crab. Be the hostess with the mostest and add this dip recipe to your table. Mama taught you not to show up empty handed, make it the night before and take it with you!
Mama Jen’s Cajun Crawfish Dipping Sauce
Makes about 1 cup
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and ketchup. Add remaining ingredients, one at a time, and stir well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
Mama Jen’s Spicy Cajun Seafood Dipping Sauce
Makes about 3/4 cup
- in a small bowl, combine ketchup, Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce, and Worcestershire. Add horseradish, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, and lemon juice, and stir well. Refrigerate for 1 hour before using.
Paw Paw Dub’s Hot Dip
Click Here for Growing Up Cajun Series Recipe Video
Named after its biggest fan, Paw Paw Dub, you’ll fall in love with this cheesy, spicy dip that will have everyone asking for the recipe! This dip is quick and easy when you need to bring something delicious to a potluck, game day party or any other casual get-together.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 5 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh jalapeno
- Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning, to taste
- Assorted crackers or corn chips to serve
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and margarine until smooth. Add cheese onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with crackers or corn chips.
Click Here for Growing Up Cajun Series Recipe Video
Nothing is more satisfying than Mama’s Crawfish Étouffée. Crawfish tails cooked in vegetables and spices, served over hot rice-what could be better to serve the ones you love?
Makes 6 Servings
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (16-ounce) package cooked crawfish tails
- 1/2 cup seafood stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley, chopped green onion
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and tomato; cook until tender. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Add crawfish, and stir to combine. Add stock; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes. Add Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning and Slap Ya Mama Hot Sauce. Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Cut remaining 3/4 cup butter into cubes. Remove pan from heat; fold in cubed butter, stirring until a creamy sauce forms. Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish with parsley and green onion, if desired.
Maw Maw’s Pecan Pie
This family favorite and Maw Maw’s most famous recipe is served up at every Walker holiday dinner and family gathering. After you give it a try, it just might become one of your family’s most requested recipes, too.
Makes 1 (9-inch) Pie.
- 1/2 (14.1- ounce) package refrigerated pie crust
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll dough. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up the sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Prick bottom of dough a few times with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, melted butter, and eggs. Add pecans and corn syrup, stirring well. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake until edges are set and center is slightly jiggly 45 to 55 minutes.
Cooking Tip from Mama Jen
When prebaking a pie crust, always prick the bottom of the crust several times with a fork before baking so that it does not bubble up.
Candied Yams & Pecans
Click Here for Growing Up Cajun Series Recipe Video
It’s not a family gathering until someone brings the candied yams. There won’t be any leftovers from this dish.
Makes 8 to 10 Servings
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 -inch chunks.
- 4 cups apple cider.
- 2 cups water.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted.
- 1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning.
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice.
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest.
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 2 large eggs.
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium Dutch oven, bring sweet potatoes, apple cider, and 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender,15 to 17 minutes. drain, reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid.
- In a large bowl, place sweet potatoes reserved 1/3 cup cooking liquid, sugars, melted butter, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, apple pie spice, Zest, and salt. Using a potato masher, mash to desired consistency. Stir in eggs. Spoon into prepared pan spreading evenly. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more. Sprinkle with marshmallows and Candied Pecans. BAke until marshmallows are lightly browned, about 7 minutes more.
Candied Pecans Ingredients:
- Line a small baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, combine brown sugar, butter, Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning, and Salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until coated. Spoon mixture onto prepared pan. Let stand until completely cool. Break into pieces.