Juicy tomatoes and crisp okra are charred on the grill and tossed in fresh herbs for a salad that's made up of only the good stuff. This recipe is from our Growing up Cajun Cookbook! You’ll find everything in this cookbook for an authentic Cajun feast, like Mama Jen’s Cajun Cornbread and Cajun Mardi Gras staples, such as Chicken & Sausage Gumbo.
- ½ pound okra, halved lengthwise
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, quartered
- 2 clusters tomatoes on the vine
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, basil, thyme, and oregeno)
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- Garnish: chopped fresh herbs, freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat on a grill. Working in batches, add okra in a single layer; cook, without stirring, until charred. Transfer to a serving platter, and set aside. Brush onion with 1 tablespoon oil, and add onion and sliced garlic to the pan; cook until lightly charred; place on serving platter. Add tomatoes on the vine, and cook until charred; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together herbs, lime zest and juice, vinegar, grated garlic, salt, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, and remaining ⅓ cup oil. Toss with okra, onion, and heirloom tomatoes. Serve with grilled tomatoes on the vine. Garnish with herbs and freshly cracked black pepper, if desired.