Nothing feeds the belly and the soul like a warm bowl of gumbo. Served over rice, this dish combines all your seafood favorites into one comforting bowl. For more recipes like this check out our cookbook Growing Up Cajun.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chopped fresh okra
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 6 cups seafood stock
- 1 (8-ounce) container crab claw meat, picked free of shell
- 1½ cup amber beer
- 2 tbsps file powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb red snapper fillets, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- hot cooked rice, to serve
- 2 (8-ounce) containers shucked oysters, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) container of jumbo lump crabmeat, pickled free of shell
- Garnish: sliced green onion
- In a 8-quart stockpot, heat oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes; add flour, stirring to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until a peanut butter-colored roux forms, about 20 minutes.
- Add okra, onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add stock, crab claw meat, beer, filé powder, Worcestershire, salt, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a medium, and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Add shrimp, fish, oysters, and lump crabmeat; cool until seafood is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in Parsley. Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish with green onion, if desired.