New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp
Barbecue shrimp is a classic New Orleans dish everyone loves. Spiced up with Slap Ya Mama, you’ll be begging for more after one bite. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds jumbo or colossal fresh shrimp, heads on
- 7 cups cold water
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 11/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dark or amber beer
- 2 loaves French bread, for serving
- Peel shrimp and devein, leaving tails on and reserving the heads and shells. Refrigerate shrimp.
- In a small Dutch oven, add shrimp heads and shells, and cover with 7 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Skim any froth as it rises to the surface. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, and set aside. Reserve 1 cup shrimp stock. Remaining stock can be refrigerated up to 1 week or frozen up to 3 months.
- In a large skillet, melt 5 tablespoons butter over high heat. Add rosemary, pepper, Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, shallot, and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add reserved stock, Worcestershire, Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce, and lemon juice. Add shrimp, and cook just until pink and firm.
- Add beer, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Decrease heat to low, and add remaining 7 tablespoons butter. Gently stir as the butter melts into the sauce and the sauce is emulsified. Serve immediately with French bread.
Makes about 4 Servings
I’m coming to N ewall Orleans this weekend, Where are you located?
Our headquarters is located in Ville Platte, LA. Unfortunately, we do not have a location in New Orleans that you’re able to visit. We hope you have a great time in our wonderful state.