While it's impossible to get tired of fried chicken, you can shake things up by covering it in C'est Bon Slaw to create a deep-fried club sandwich. This recipe if from our cookbook Growing Up Cajun. You’ll find everything in this cookbook for an authentic Cajun feast, like Mama Jen’s Cajun Cornbread and Cajun Mardi Gras staples, such as Chicken & Sausage Gumbo.
C'est Bon Slaw
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- ½ cup cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Creole Mustard
- ¾ tsp celery salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp Slap Ya Mama White Pepper Blend
- In a 13x9-inch baking dish, combine buttermilk and Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce.
- Add chicken to dish, making sure meat is submerged. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, pour oil to depth of 1 inch, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.In another 13x9-inch baking dish, stir together flour and Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture, discarding marinade. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, turning to coat. Working in batches, fry chicken until browned on both sides and a meat thermometer inserted in thickest.
C'est Bon Slaw
- In a large bowl, combine cabbages, carrot, and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and all remaining ingredients. Pour mayonnaise mixture over cabbage mixture, stirring to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.