Few things can't be solved over a steaming bowl of French onion soup. Let your problems melt away with your first taste of this warm broth topped baguette rounds and Swiss cheese. This tasty recipe comes from our cookbook Growing Up Cajun, order your copy today for more tasty recipes!
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- 8 large yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can of beef consommé
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp Slap Ya Mama White Pepper Blend Seasoning
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- toasted baguette rounds
- Shredded Swiss cheese
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and onions, in batches if necessary; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Add garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Add beef broth, beef consommé, salt, pepper, and Slap Ya Mama White Pepper Blend Seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Add thyme to soup, and simmer for 5 minutes. Ladle soup into oven proof bowls; top with baguette rounds and cheese.
- Broil 6 inches from heat until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Garnish with thyme, if desired.