This cross section cuts of whole dressed catfish are covered in quickly cooked broth that poaches the meat and creates a delicious dish. This amazing recipe comes for our cookbook Growing Up Cajun. Whether it’s a holiday, a family gathering, or just a Saturday spent with friends eating crawfish, these dishes are made for joyful occasions spent with music, laughter, and everyone pitching in to create a delicious meal.Trust us, this collection of favorites is sure to leave you feeling a little Cajun yourself.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 6 catfish steaks (about 2 pounds)
- 1½ tsps Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tsps minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- hot cooked rice, to serve
- In a large cast-iron stock pot or dutch oven, heat oil over low heat.
- Sprinkle catfish with Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning; place fish in pot. Layer with onion, bell pepper, and garlic; top with tomato sauce. (Do not stir.) Cover and shake pot in a circular motion. Fish will put out a little water. If not enough, you can add a little. Cook for 1 hour, shaking occasionally.
- Add green onion and parsley; cook for 10 minutes. Serve over hot cooked rice.