Hearty and classic, this meringue-topped beauty is meant for passing around a table filled with the loved ones. This delicious recipe comes from our cookbook Growing Up Cajun. You’ll find everything in this cookbook for an authentic Cajun feast, like Mama Jen’s Cajun Cornbread and Cajun Mardi Gras staples, such as Chicken & Sausage Gumbo. From squirrel season to crawfish season, you’ll be inspired by the true flavors of Louisiana.
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 2⅔ cup plus ½ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3 (15-ounce) cans evaporated milk
- ½ cup cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tbsp plus ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Seasoning
- 1½ (16-ounce) loaves French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks. Add 2⅔ cups sugar, whisking until thick and pale yellow. Add evaporated milk, melted butter, bourbon, 1 tablespoon vanilla, and Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Seasoning, whisking until smooth. Add bread cubes and fold until bread is coated. Place in prepared baking dosh.
- Bake until knife inserted in the center comes out clean, let cool on wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites, almond extract, remaining ½ cup sugar, and remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Top bread pudding with meringue mixture.
- Bake until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Serve warm or cool.