Mama Jen’s Cajun Cornbread
Makes 10-12 servings
Of all her recipes, Mama Jen’s Cajun Cornbread is probably her most recognized. Anytime there is a family event, she makes her famous cornbread, and it isn’t long before the whole tray is gone. You have to move quickly when she places her cornbread on the serving table, or you’ll come up empty-handed.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced smoked tasso or ham
- 1 cup diced smoked sausage
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (14.75-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium jalapeños, seeded and minced (about 1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13×9-inch baking pan with butter.
- In a medium skillet, cook tasso and sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, and baking soda using a fork. Add corn, milk, oil, and eggs, stirring until well combined. Add tasso, sausage, cheese, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño, stirring until well combined. Spoon mixture and meat into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and top is golden brown, about 55 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.