Buffalo Alligator Po’ Boys
Yields: 6 servings
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound alligator meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (12-ounce) box Slap Ya Mama Cajun Fish Fry
- 6 (8-inch) New Orleans-style French bread pieces, split
- Blue Cheese Celery Slaw (recipe follows)
Blue Cheese Celery Slaw
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 handful chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ (16-ounce) bag tricolor coleslaw mix
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 (5-ounce) container crumbled blue cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a medium saucepan, bring hot sauce, butter, garlic powder, and Worcestershire to a simmer. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, toss together alligator meat and fish fry coating, shaking off excess. Carefully add to hot oil in batches, and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Let drain on paper towels. Toss in warm buffalo sauce.
- Place 8 to 10 alligator nuggets on bottom of each French bread piece, and top with Blue Cheese Celery Slaw. Serve immediately.
Blue Cheese Celery Slaw
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, celery salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix, celery, and blue cheese. Add sour cream mixture to coleslaw mixture, and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Looking for a fried shrimp po-boy complete with Louisiana Cajun flavor? Try Slap Ya Mama’s Fried Shrimp Po-boy featuring our delectable Cajun fish fry and hot sauce to spice things up just like in Louisiana.
- 1 ½ lbs medium shrimp, peeled
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- Slap Ya Mama Cajun Fish Fry, 12oz
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- vegetable oil
- French bread, enough to make 4 po-boy buns, each 8” long
- remoulade sauce
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced dill pickles
- Slap Ya Mama Pepper Sauce
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
With a thermometer attached to the side of a heavy pot or deep skillet, fill pot with vegetable oil, about 2” deep and heat to 350 degrees F.
While waiting for the oil to heat, whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl making an egg wash. In a medium-sized bowl, place Slap Ya Mama Cajun Fish Fry. Now dip shrimp in egg wash, then coat evenly with fish fry batter. Working in batches, fry shrimp until golden brown, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a paper towel covered plate to drain.
Slice French bread lengthways; spread melted butter on the inside of bread and place on a baking sheet with open ends up. Bake for approximately 10 minutes.
Building a Po-Boy:
Generously spread remoulade sauce on the inside of bread. Layer with shrimp, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles. Douse with Slap Ya Mama Pepper Sauce, serve and enjoy!
If you like it a little spicier, try seasoning the shrimp with our Slap Ya Mama Hot Blend Seasoning before dipping them into the egg wash. Deliciousness with a kick!