Maw Maw’s Pecan Pie
This family favorite and Maw Maw’s most famous recipe is served up at every Walker holiday dinner and family gathering. After you give it a try, it just might become one of your family’s most requested recipes, too.
Makes 1 (9-inch) Pie.
- 1/2 (14.1- ounce) package refrigerated pie crust
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll dough. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up the sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Prick bottom of dough a few times with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, melted butter, and eggs. Add pecans and corn syrup, stirring well. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake until edges are set and center is slightly jiggly 45 to 55 minutes.
Cooking Tip from Mama Jen
When prebaking a pie crust, always prick the bottom of the crust several times with a fork before baking so that it does not bubble up.
Autumn is upon us and everyone is getting ready for warmer clothes, hot beverages and comforting foods. Casseroles are some of the most comforting foods whether they are childhood favorites or new-found recipes. Here at Slap Ya Mama, we are all about comfort. In fact, the reason behind our spice blends come from our love of family and tradition. What is more comforting than that?
If you love casseroles, then you most definitely know that chicken pot pie is a classic. However, nothing is better than a cajun spiced chicken pot pie. If you want a quick and easy recipe that the whole family will enjoy, look no further.
One 9-inch round refrigerated pie dough
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme and basil
1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
8 ounces small red potatoes, diced
3 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken (from a rotisserie chicken)
1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapenos
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the pie dough on a baking sheet and brush with a little milk. Sprinkle with the thyme, basil, and 1/4 teaspoon of SLAP YA MAMA SEASONING. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 18 minutes. Break into quarters.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, onion and remaining 3/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring to avoid lumps. Add the potatoes and 2 cups water. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are cooked and the liquid is thickened, about 15 minutes. Add the chicken and jalapenos and simmer until the chicken is heated through, about 3 minutes. Thin the sauce with a little water if desired. Season with salt and pepper.