Spicy and fresh, there's nothing like the flavor that comes from cooking fish in a cast-iron skillet. Want more recipes like this? Check out our cookbook Growing Up Cajun! It invites you to explore Cajun traditions, the history behind the Slap Ya Mama name, Cajun lore, and some of the most prized recipes in Louisiana—all flavored with Walker family stories.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 pounds redfish filets
- 3 to 4 tbsp Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lemons, halved
- Preheat grill to high heat (400° to 450°). Preheat 12-inch cast-iron skillet on grill for 15 minutes.
- Pour melted butter in a shallow dish. Dip each fillet in butter, turning to coat. Sprinkle both sides of fillets with Slap Ya Mama Hot Cajun Seasoning; pat gently to coat.
- Add oil to skillet (oil should smoke); place fish in skillet. Cook, covered, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn, and cook, covered, until fish flakes easily with a fork, 3 to 4 minutes more. Carefully remove skillet from grill.
- Place lemons, cut side down, on grill. Cook, covered, until charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with fish.