Squirrel Sauce Piquante
Tradition and spending time with family take center stage in Cajun culture, and this spice-filled recipe holds special memories for the Walkers! For more Cajun recipes and traditions check out our cookbook Growing Up Cajun!
- 4 Squirrels, cut into pieces (about 1½ pounds)
- 2 tsp Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, smashed
- ½ (8-ounce) can of golden mushroom soup
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- Sprinkle Squirrel Pieces with Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning, sugar, and garlic powder. Place in a large pan or bowl, refrigerate for 12 hours.
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add squirrel; cook until browned. Remove from pot. Add tomatoes, soup, onion, and bell pepper; cook until browned. Return squirrel to pot; continue browning. Add a little water, and continue browning until water is almost gone. Add water until it almost covers the squirrel, and cook until tender, about 2½ hours. (Younger squirrels don't take as long.)
- Add green onion and parsley during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve over hot cooked rice!
- Note: You can also brown ½ lb of sausage with the squirrel.