This dish is essential to the full experience of Louisiana cuisine and is always served with a glass of sherry.
- 1 pound boneless turtle meat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp Slap Ya Mama Low Sodium Blend Seasoning
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama HOT Blend Seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Dark Flour (recipe follows)
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups dry sherry
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: chopped
- Trim fat and gristle from turtle meat. Cut meat into 1-inch cubes, and grind in a meat grinder.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add turtle meat; bell pepper, onion, calery, and garlic; cook until turtle is browned and onion is tendered, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in paprika, bay leaves, Slap Ya Mama Low Sodium Blend Seasoning, thyme, oregano, Slap Ya Mama HOT Blend Seasoning, cumin, coriander, and chili powder; cook for 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together Dark Flour and 2 cups of broth until smooth; stir into turtle mixture. Gradually stir in tomatoes, sherry, wine, and remaining 6 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves.
- Add eggs, parsley, and lemon juice; cook for 15 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among serving bowls. Garnish with parsley and lemon slices, if desired. Serve with sherry and french bread.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spread flour onto a rimmed baking sheet
- Bake until dark brown and nutty, stirring occasionally at first and frequently during the last 15 minutes. Let cool completely before using, and store in a airtight container for up to one month.