SHRIMP & CORN SOUP WITH TASSO
Tasso adds an extra kick to this flavor-packed and perfectly creamy soup. This recipe and more delicious recipes can be found in our cookbook Growing Up Cajun
Servings 8 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- 2 cups chopped tasso or cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 (14-ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) can cream of shrimp soup
- 1 (10-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 lb medium fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined, and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Garnish chopped green onion
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add tasso, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and 1 tablespoon Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning; sautéuntil onion is translucent.
- Stir in cream cheese, and cook until softened.
- Add corn, tomatoes, soups, milk, and remaining1⁄2 tablespoon Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning; cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 3⁄4 cup water; increase heat, and bring to a light boil.
- Add shrimp, and return to a light boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- With 5 minutes remaining, stir in parsley. Garnish with green onion, if desired.