Mama’s Crawfish Étouffée
Click Here for Growing Up Cajun Series Recipe Video
Nothing is more satisfying than Mama’s Crawfish Étouffée. Crawfish tails cooked in vegetables and spices, served over hot rice-what could be better to serve the ones you love?
Makes 6 Servings
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (16-ounce) package cooked crawfish tails
- 1/2 cup seafood stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Slap Ya Mama Cajun Hot Sauce
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley, chopped green onion
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup butter over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and tomato; cook until tender. Add garlic; cook for 2 minutes. Add crawfish, and stir to combine. Add stock; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes. Add Slap Ya Mama Original Blend Cajun Seasoning and Slap Ya Mama Hot Sauce. Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Cut remaining 3/4 cup butter into cubes. Remove pan from heat; fold in cubed butter, stirring until a creamy sauce forms. Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish with parsley and green onion, if desired.